Thursday, November 12, 2009

Handling Rejection

Most of us encountered rejection for the first time as a young child or teenager. The experience was an eye opener when someone from one of our social groups informed us that we did not measure up. We probably began to ask ourselves or our parents why. It is never easy to handle rejection but is a necessary skill to learn.

Handling rejection during your Job Search can be difficult. You should view rejection as an opportunity to learn. Ask yourself these questions:

  1. Did I give my best effort?
  2. Is there anything I could have done differently?
  3. Would I have fit within the culture of the organization?
  4. Do I try to apply to the organization at a future date?

I believe that a way of handling rejection is turning rejection into a positive. You may not have received the answer that you were hoping for from a potential employer. But if you actually get a response from a company in this job market you are ahead of the game. It shows that your resume and cover letter were good enough that you were considered. That is a victory in today's job market.

No comments:

Post a Comment